Wednesday, September 10, 2014

"Kitchen Sink" Muffins!

   I love muffins. I used to start my day with a crumbly corn muffin or moist gooey blueberry muffin from my favorite coffee chain until I realized that even the 'low-fat' version contained over 400 calories. Although I'm certainly not a calorie counter or health nut, I do try to eat well and can't justify that kind of caloric intake for a silly little muffin. Last night I had some too-ripe bananas lying around and decided to experiment with whatever I had in my pantry. My options were limited, but with a little tweaking and substituting, I ended up with a delicious batch of muffins! My egg yolk allergy (sad.....we all know the yolk is the essence of the egg!) caused me to substitute egg whites, but you could use either.





"Kitchen Sink" muffins

Makes 12-15 muffins.

1 ½ cups whole wheat flour
1 cup rolled oats
½ cup white sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
¼ cup egg whites or 1 egg
¾ cup skim milk
1/3 cup applesauce
3 tablespoons peanut butter (optional)
¼ cup semi sweet chocolate chips (optional)
2 mashed bananas

Preheat oven to 350.

Combine flour, oats, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl.
In a separate bowl combine egg whites, milk, applesauce, and peanut butter. Add mashed bananas and combine thoroughly.
Stir the flour mixture into the banana mixture until it is just combined. Add chocolate chips or sprinkle them on top of muffins when they are in the pan.


Scoop mixture ¾ of the way full into muffin tins lined with cupcake liners or sprayed with oil. Bake for about 15 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Enjoy!


Here's the best part! If this recipe makes 14 servings that brings you to 157 calories a muffin! Sounds pretty guilt-free to me!



1 comment:

  1. I made these tonight and they're sooo good.. And super healthy too!!

    ReplyDelete